AKA... Old Dog - New Trick!
Work began today on making 60 door pillows for the Pastor's Wives Dinner at next month's conference. This was a HAPPY surprise order but boy WHAT have I gotten myself into?!
This is the final product:
I designed it using a modified version of the weekend logo:
I will show more pictures of the process later, now I want to show you something I just learned tonight!
My friend Andrea came over to give me a hand with the final steps of the pillow...the turning, stuffing, stitching closed part.
The very first words out of her mouth were, "No you did this wrong"
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
"WHAT?!!! Hey! I'm the one with 4 years of high school Home Ec. and 4 years of college Home Ec. I have a TEACHING DEGREE IN HOME EC!!! What do you mean I did it wrong!?!"
This is how we were taught to make a good corner:
DON'T DO IT THIS WAY!
Trim all seams to 1/4", taper at the corners, cut across the corner then turn and push it out with a pointed something. ..Kinda like this:...only I haven't trimmed the seams here...just angled to the point then cut across.
WRONG!!! And she proved it to me! I was shocked!
How to do it correctly:
1. All seams should be about .5"... do not taper or cut across the corner!
2. Stick your pointer finger inside the corner before turning
3. Fold the side seam in toward the pillow and hold with your thumb and the finger that is still inside the pillow
4. Fold the top seam down over the side seam and hold
5. With both fingers still "together", pull the corner through the hole you left for turning... The point will be PERFECT without poking anything into it!
Oh! I also found out tonight that Andrea's mother owned a Professional Pillow Making Business so Andrea made pillows for years!!!!
CHECK THIS OUT!!! Have you found Blitsy yet?
Up to 60% off of art/craft supplies...new sale every Monday/ Wednesday/ Friday! AMAZING!
You GOTTA try this! AMAZING!